Monday, February 2, 2009

Fighting the battle of who could care less

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! 23-year-old college student takes a bong hit.

The USOC is clutching its pearls:

"Michael is a role model, and he is well aware of the responsibilities and accountability that come with setting a positive example for others, particularly young people," the USOC said in a statement. "In this instance, regrettably, he failed to fulfill those responsibilities."

And Phelps' quote is appropriately groveling and self-flagellating to the tens of people who are shocked and appalled by a 20-something smoking pot:

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in the statement released by one of his agents. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Frankly, I want Michael Phelps to apologize to all of us who think that apologies like that just feed the public perception that he did something that anyone at all should care about. I mean, our last three presidents have admitted to smoking pot. Can't we just stop the war against cannabis yet? Seriously, I don't care to smoke it, but t seems like such a waste of resources...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he should be apologizing for taking a hit at 23. Marijuana is so high school.

Blake said...

Actually what he should be apologizing for is taking a bong hit in a public setting, who cares if he smokes pot, but please god stay away from people with camera phones looking to make a quick buck. I mean really, is he that dumb to go to a Frat party at a school he didnt attend, with a hoes on both arms and expect to keep some sort of privacy......dense to say the least.